I was reading in Helaman chapter 7 today and Nephi is lamenting about the wickedness of his day. He wished he could have lived in the days of his ancestor, Nephi, when "his people were easily entreated and firm to keep the commandments of God (vs. 7). I don't wish to live in the days of the pioneers, but I do know that it wasn't that long ago that people were more attentive to God. I was raised in Utah, but I here of events here in Virginia, that on Sundays there would be cars lined up in front of all the churches, stores were closed and people's thoughts were of Christ. Oh to live in that not too distant past again. But my greater joy would be for my children and grandchildren to enjoy those times; times of prosperity and times of respect for God and nation. A self-reliant, motivated, generous people prevailed and loved one another. This is what I remember. I know this is probably not what everyone remembers, but times have changed, people seem more anxious and stressed. Anyway I look for a day when people are "slow to be led to do iniquity; and...quick to hearken unto the words of the Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment