I love Nephi's determination in vs. 15 stating that he and his brothers will not return to their father "until we have accomplished the thing which the Lord hath commanded us." I don't know how many times I have to tell myself I have to accomplish a particular task and other things will just have to wait. This week I haven't been studying as much as I need to, partly due to trying to get this blog going. I feel like this is something the Lord wants me to do and as Nephi "I know that the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them (to accomplish the task)" (vs.7). Accomplishing their task required all of their earthly possessions, which were "exceedingly great." To do what I need to do does not require more than earnest effort, ingenuity, and prayer.
"Wherefore I will plead with you, saith the Lord, and with your children's children will I plead" (Jeremiah 2:9). I love how the Lord is only interested in our welfare, he reaches to us with outstretched arms, to beckon us home. In this chapter we see the remorse of the Lord at loosing the love of his people, Israel; "They have forsaken me the fountain of living waters" (vs. 13). Isaiah explains "with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation" (12:3). And Nephi defines living waters as the "love of God" (1 Nephi 11:25).

This chapter seems like the more confident ever faithful Nephi I also think of. Perhaps this change came about because of the witness he received in chapter 2. I liked vs. 6 "Therefore go, my son, and thou shalt be favored of the Lord, because thou hast not murmured.", then the famous vs "I will go and do" and then in vs. 8 Lehi rejoices because of Nephi's faith.
ReplyDeleteI think vs 6 because Nephi had not yet responded to Lehi's request for him to return to get the plates, but he's hoping that given the character of Nephi he will not murmur. I think it helped Nephi to know that getting the plates was a commandment from God, but also that his father believed in him. I know a lot of times growing up it helped me make good decisions because I knew my parents were counting on it. Parents influence can go a long way.
Hope that made sense
Thanks Crystal. I hope I can someday learn not to murmur to the Lord about all that is required. I am reassured in Heavenly Father confidence in me as he gives me challenges to strengthen me. I also love the blessings, like my children.
ReplyDelete