Sunday, October 31, 2010

1 Nephi 6 and Jer. 37, 38

In Sunday School we talked about how much time Jeremiah spent in prison. It is almost humorous in vs. 4 of chapter 37 "Now Jeremiah came in and went out among the people; for they had not put him into prison." They had to point out he was not in prison (he usually was). It is interesting to me how Zedekiah would seek Jeremiah's counsel but then would not follow it and would throw him back into prison. Jeremiah wanted to hear things from the prophet that would be pleasing unto him and unto men, but Jeremiah only stated that which was pleasing unto God.

Nephi also declares he will write that which is pleasing unto God and not unto man. "For the fulness of mine intent is that I may persuade men to come unto the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, and be saved. Wherefore the things which I write are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world." I hope the things that I write please the Lord. I have not been good at keeping up with a journal for sometime and even though this does not record my history it does record what means the very most to me, the promptings of the spirit. Many times I receive insight as I read, but rarely record it. I hope this gives each of you the opportunity to do the same. Thanks for your inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. I've read this chapter so many times. Lots of nights when I'm really tired I just look for a short chapter. Anyway, I love Nephi's passion in this chapter. "For the fullness of mine intent is that I may persuade men to come unto the God...the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God."

    How many people in media and such are writing things pleasing to the world. I hope I can be bold and be able to speak those things that are pleasing unto God.

    ReplyDelete