Thursday, November 4, 2010

1 Nephi 9 and Jer.16, 23


Jeremiah 16 verse 4 reminds me of the Dr. Quinn episode where all the Cheyenne are killed. "They shall die of grievous deaths; they shall not be lamented; neither shall they be buried." It is really sad when a great nation is destroyed. In Jeremiah the Lord could not extend his protection any longer. "...for I have taken my peace from this people, saith the Lord, even lovingkindness and mercies" (Jer. 16:5)
When we are obedient the Lord can bless us, when we are not, he cannot. "But if ye enter not into my law ye cannot receive the promise of my Father, which he made unto Abraham" (D&C 132:33). The promises we make to the Lord are the most sacred promises we can make. I have seen many times through joys and sorrows the blessings of the Lord. It is sad when an individual and/or a nation losses the blessings that could be theirs. "Who has set at naught the counsels of God, and has broken the most sacred promises which were made before God, and has depended upon his own judgment and boasted in his own wisdom" (D&C 3:13).
God wants to bless us as stated in Mormon 9 verse 21, "Behold, I say unto you that whoso believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, whatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this promise is unto all, even unto the ends of the earth." Jerusalem was destroyed as Jeremiah prophesied, "But, The Lord liveth, that brought up the children of Israel from the land of the north, and from all the lands whither he had driven them: and I will bring them again into their land that I gave unto their fathers" (Jer. 16:15). Jeremiah also speaks of the Gentiles coming to them and being hunters and fishers to teach the Israelites. Nephi made the record that he kept on plates for a 'wise purpose' which he knew not (v. 5). "But the Lord knoweth all things from the beginning; wherefore, he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works among the children of men; for behold, he hath all power unto the fulfilling of all his words. And thus it is. Amen" (v. 6).

1 comment:

  1. 1 Nephi 9:5 - "Wherefore, the Lord hath commanded me to make these plates for a wise purpose in him, which purpose I know not".

    Wow, I love this verse!! There are so many times in life when the Lord tells us to do something and we have no idea why, at times it may not make any sense at all. I love that even though Nephi didn't know the reasons why he still followed the command to make these plates. If you think about the time and energy that went into engraving like they did, this was no small task he was asked to perform.

    vs. 6: "But the Lord knoweth all things from the beginning; wherefore, he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works among the children of men; for behold, he hath all power unto the fulfilling of all his words". Even though we don't understand the Lord does have a plan and he will accomplish it. I think it's up to us whether or not we're part of that plan. We choose by following or not following what he has asked us to do.

    ReplyDelete