Monday, November 29, 2010

2 Nephi 5 and 6


v. 5- The Lord warned Nephi that he should take those with him that would follow and flee into the wilderness. I have heard many stories about people that were warned and either fled or prepared themselves. I remember the story of a pioneer family that was sleeping in a covered wagon and the father was warned to move the wagon. Shortly after, lightning struck the tree where the wagon had been resting. The family would have been crushed. In Relief Society yesterday they talked about the earthquake in Chile and how the mission president's wife felt inspired to give the elders specific instructions about how they were to handle themselves when the earthquake would hit. There was not one missionary lost in the earthquake and many of the local leaders had also been impressed to prepare the members. The same thing had happened with the typhoon in the gulf. The leaders instructed members to evacuate and were unharmed because of their obedience. This is how the Lord uses commandments and inspiration. Commandments are specifically designed for our benefit.

When Jacob teaches the people it is recorded, "I am desirous for the welfare of your souls. Yea, mine anxiety is great for you" (vs. 3). I am grateful for concerned leaders who strive to strengthen the members of the church and give them the counsel they need so they can return to live with their Heavenly Father again.

1 comment:

  1. In vs. 18 of chptr 5 Nephi says, "they would that I should be their king. But I, Nephi, was desirous that they should have no king;" This happens several other times later (Alma the elder, sons of Mosiah, etc). Despite our nations struggles right now I'm grateful that we do have elected leaders instead of a king to reign over us.

    ReplyDelete